Monday, January 30, 2017

Natural Lip Crayons: Juice Beauty vs Burt's Bees vs Shea Moisture

I love lip products!  Don't you feel like a good pucker just completes your look?

Today I am reviewing lip crayons from Juice Beauty, Burt's Bees, and Shea Moisture.  I know that the color shades are not identical but I wasn't trying to find a "dupe" of any thing so I just picks similar colors from what I had on hand.  I was surprised with my favorite brand.  Read on!

Juice Beauty:  $22  The shade I am featuring is Laguna.  These lip crayons are plant-based organic choice "without parabens, petroleum, propylene or butylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfates, pesticides, phthalates, artificial dyes or synthetic fragrances".  There are eight color shades and most are what I would term as mild neutrals.  My favorite shade is their cherry red Zuma (the wildest and most pigmented shade of the eight).  I expect most lip crayons to be a mix of lip liner and a lipstick.  These are more like a mix of lip gloss and sheer lipstick.  For the amount of shine that comes with these lip crayons, the slightly gritty formula is surprising.  These also smell like actual coloring crayons to me.  For $22 a tube, I think the company could definitely improve how they smell.  Wear-wise, they are easily transferred and not that long-lasting.  There is also zero lip-staining ability and so depending on how you feel about lip staining, that could also be a factor.  Another thing that I just have to mention: When choosing a color you cannot tell what color it is without opening the tube because the lid is solid gray and not clear (as you would expect it to be) and the color sticker that they put on the bottom of the tube is not true to color.  It is seriously annoying because if they are going to make their tube completely UN-seethrough, then the color sticker better be true to color.  If you want to see a true to life swatch of all their shades, you should watch the video clip that is on their website that I linked up to above.

Burt's Bees:  $9  The shade I am featuring is Redwood Forest.  These lip crayons are 100% natural and without added flavor or fragrance.  There are six shades.  The formula is smooth and deeply pigmented.  This lip crayon starts out with a medium shine that turns into a matte when blotted.  Sadly, it smells almost identical to the Juice Beauty lip crayons.  It definitely will transfer, but lasts pretty long, and has medium lip stain-ability.

Shea Moisture:  $10  The shade I am featuring is Rosie.  These lip crayons are made with, you guessed it, shea butter and without parabens, phthalates, parrafin, mineral oil, DEA, petroleum, formaldehyde, propylene, and synthetic fragrance. Their are 12 shades! This formula is slightly gritty like Juice Beauty.  With a low-shine, I would call these matte.  These lip crayons are pretty long lasting, well pigmented, and with medium lip stain-ability.  Smell-wise, they smell a little sweeter than Juice Beauty or Burt's Bees, but there is still that underlying actual crayon smell to them.  Side-note:  The Shea Moisture website is super slow. :(

Here is a swatch of the lip crayons I am featuring.


And here is a smeared dot-swatch of the them to give you an idea of how they transfer and wear.

And here is my descriptions in chart form for easy recall.
Bottom line:  My personal favorite is Burt's Bees because the formula is smoother than Shea Moisture and also because their shades are more berry-ish (and less creamy colored) than Shea Moisture.  But if I wanted a color that was only unique to Shea Moisture, then I would definitely be okay switching brands.

No comments:

Post a Comment