Friday, September 11, 2015

L'Oreal Voluminous False Lashes vs Benefit They're Real....The SHOCKING Truth!!!

Well, apparently ya'll like it when I compare mascaras.  I totally dig that, as mascaras are totally up my ally.  I love what it does for my sparse lashes!  Today I am going to compare a drug store mascara, L'Oreal Voluminous False Lashes, with a high end mascara, Benefit They're Real!

The results really threw me through a loop.  I was shocked!  Let me back up, to give you the history so you can be shocked with me. ;)

Way back in my early marriage, I used Mary Kay's Ultimate Mascara and couldn't be happier.  Well, when my birthday came around, I went to Sephora to pick up my free birthday gift and it happened to be Benefit They're Real Mascara.  I fell in love with it so much that when my mascara deluxe sample ran out, I coughed up the money to buy a full size. Yes, coupon/deal-loving-Abi bought her first high end mascara.  I told all my friends about this wonderful mascara and even gave one to my mother for Christmas.  It was the holy grail of mascaras for me--for YEARS!

But in March, I had a light bulb moment.  Benefit They're Real mascara wasn't the only high-end mascara in the world.  Perhaps I should at least try some others.  So I bought a big sampler set from Sephora with 10 high end mascaras in it.  I am still working on trying them out.  Later, another light bulb moment, could drugstore mascara compete with high end mascara?  So then I started buying drug store mascara again.  Honestly, I am swimming in mascara right now and could do mascara reviews for months!


So, long story short:  Benefit They're Real mascara has been on a pedestal for so long that I feel really disloyal when I allow another mascara to take the spotlight.  But I am Your Blunt Friend, and the truth must be told.  They're Real has to share the pedestal for today, because Voluminous False Lashes made my lashes even more long and is a fraction of the price.  Read on for all the details!


L'Oreal Voluminous False Lashes Mascara: Length and Drama Winner

  • Tube Facts:  Price is $8.95 and L'Oreal advertises this mascara with a "fiber formula that adheres to lashes for a volumized, sculpted lash effect".  The wand brush area is very long and starts big and bushy and ends narrow.  The bristles, which are soft/hairlike, are plentiful and spike out of it.
  • Application:  The first swipe of this mascara is kind of discouraging because it starts off a little clumpy.  But with following swipes it builds and un-clumps quite well.  Boy can it build!  I really felt like I was wearing false lashes and it looked bold and dramatic.
  • Wear:  This mascara stayed bold and thick throughout the day.  There was some fall-out at the end of the day (yeah for Q-tips).  Also, it was just as hard to take off as its competition, They're Real.

BOTTOM-LINE:  If you are looking for a one coat natural mascara, I think this formula is too thick.  If you need a mascara that is extremely buildable, lengthening, and dramatic, reach for this!  I have never seen my lashes this long.

Benefit They're Real Mascara: Versatility Winner

  • Tube Facts:  Price is $24.00 and Benefit advertises this as a lengthening mascara which "reveals lashes you never knew you had".  The wand brush bristles are plastic and spike out and have a custom-domed tip.
  • Application:  This mascara formula is thick and rather dry, but this works in favor for my eyes somehow.  First coat goes all well and gives a very nice natural look.  Subsequent coats also build quite well.  It is surprising how many lashes this mascara can expose, lengthen, and define.
  • Wear:  This also stayed bold and thick throughout the day.  It also had a little fall-out by the end of the day.  You'll definitely need mascara remover to get this off.

BOTTOM-LINE:  This mascara does great with one or many coats.  I still love it and would recommend it a versatile mascara.  BUT (I feel like crying to admit this after years of loyalty)..if you are going for the ultimate in length and drama, L'Oreal Voluminous False Lashes mascara has this beat and is a fraction of the price.

There you have it folks.  Don't turn your nose up at drug store mascara because it turns out some serious competition.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment