Monday, August 31, 2015

E.L.F. and their nonexistent return policy

Today's MONDAY MOUTH-OFF is about the cosmetics company ELF and their non-existent satisfaction guarantee/refund policy.

Before I continue this mouth-off, I want to say something positive.  ELF has some fantastic products at a fantastic price.  My all-time favorite blush/contour (shade Turks&Caicos) and blush brush is from ELF.

I still buy from ELF but not as much as I would if they stood behind their products.

With the exception of ELF, I cannot think of any major cosmetic company that has not rectified a negative product experience through refund or compensation coupon.


ELF does not have any sort of reassurance regarding their products.  This is what they say on their website regarding their return policy:

  • "We value you as a customer and your satisfaction is very important to us, please note that we will gladly replace any item that may have been damaged during shipping. We apologize, but due to the low cost nature of our products, we are unable to offer any returns or exchanges."

So ELF will replace an item that arrives damaged (I can testify to this).  But ELF won't refund or compensate for a product that you are not satisfied with because their products are so "low cost".  I can mostly understand this when your talking a straight up money refund, but I don't understand why they aren't willing to send out a coupon to try another product in their line.

They need to think about it this way.  Maybelline has some low cost items in their line and they stand by these products despite their low cost.  They are willing to send out compensation coupons because they want consumers to keep on trying products in their line and then become brand loyal when they find products that are a "perfect fit" (Maybelline pun intended).  Customer service really is a key contributor to brand loyalty.

I know that I would spend more on ELF cosmetics if they stood by their products.  I am super curious about their Studio Flawless Finish foundation and also their entire skin care line, but I won't buy these moderate cost items without the reassurance of a refund or compensation coupon.

Would you buy more from ELF if they changed their return policy?

4 comments:

  1. I just bought $40 worth of skincare and was very unhappy with the results. Their blur products did not blur and the sunscreen primer goes on like silicone and makes my skin look dull. I just found out about this policy after I ordered it and I should have checked. What kind of a company doesn't stand behind their products? Now I have $40 worth of products that I hate. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry. Buying new skincare is daunting! And if a company doesn't stand by their products, it makes it really hard. For skin care, my favorite routine is minimalistic. I use microfiber clothes for cleansing and exfoliation, then pure unrefined shea butter for moisturizing. But everyone is different. YMMV. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. I just purchased Elf green primer which is supposed to minimize redness. Let me tell you - it does NOT. So, I spent $9 on a product that doesn't work. Are they relatively inexpensive - Yes. However, I could have bought a package of hamburger to make supper instead. I guess live and learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely live and learn. If you bought from Target or Walmart or CVS, you could try returning. I think that they have good return policies on makeup.

      Delete