I use lavender essential oil quite a bit and although it's not my favorite scent or oil, I believe from reading journal articles that lavender is one of the most tested and proven therapeutic essential oils. It's also a great base for many blends. When I ran out of my doTERRA lavender oil (I don't purchase from doTERRA anymore for ethical reasons), I became obsessed with finding THE best lavender essential oil. Oh, how many articles and GCMS reports I poured over! I don't want to be the only one to benefit from all that research, so this post was born. Enjoy!
I would trust ALL of the following lavender essential oils to be pure, unadulterated, undiluted, and high quality. Seriously! I combed through their description and GCMS reports, compared prices, and production dates. No, I have not tried all of these, but I would be happy to have any of them.
best lavender essential oils budget picks ($1.00 or less per ml as of July 2023)
- Plant Therapy Organic Lavender from Greece/Bulgaria (May 2022)
- Simply Earth Bulgaria Lavender (March 2023)
- Revive French Lavender (March 2020)
- Davina Wellness Bulgaria Lavender (October 2020)
- Rocky Mountain Lavender from Greece/France (Mar 2023)
- Kokokahn high altitude French Lavender from Provence, France
- Nature's Gift High Altitude Wild from Provence, France (Feb 2023)
- Linalool: Normal range is 25-40%.
- Linalyl acetate: Normal range is 25-45%.
- Lavandulyl acetate: Normal range is 2-4%. Super low percentages of lavandulyl acetate could be a red flag for adulteration. Super high quality, unique lavenders have higher than 4%, but this is not typical.
- Terpinen-4-ol: Normal range is 2-6%. Terpinen-4-ol supposedly provided immune support.
- Beta carophyllene: Look for 2% or more to benefit skin
- Camphor: 1% or less
- 1,8-Cineole: 1% or less
- Borneol: 1% or less